Demeter Seminar

Subject: Demeter Seminar
From: lieber@ccs.neu.edu
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 11:56:33 EST

Demeter Seminar
Wednesday, January 9, 3pm - 5pm
149 Cullinane Hall

We will have two presentations:

Speaker: Neeraj Sangal
Demeter Research Group

Can Current AOSD Technology Handle Existing Ad-hoc Approaches to AOSD?
(AOSD = Aspect-Oriented Software Development)

There are many real-world implementations
of ad-hoc systems that have been
built to separate concerns so as to reduce the complexity of
programming. This talk will examine
Enterprise Java Beans which uses a fixed set of deployment descriptors
to deal with aspects such as persistence and synchronization.
We explore the effectiveness of EJB in terms of segregating the
implementation of different aspects and
whether current AOSD technology
is capable of dealing with these issues in a systematic way.

Speaker: Karl Lieberherr

Integrating AspectJ and Demeter

Subgraph specifications are fundamental to robust
Aspect-Oriented Programming.
The purpose of a subgraph specification is to select a subgraph
of a graph using a high-level specification that exploits
connectivity properties.
The Demeter project has explored subgraph specifications
for a long time and more recently, they were also introduced
to AspectJ.

Various graphs are of interest to the aspect-oriented
programmer: dynamic call trees, object graphs, class graphs, etc.
AspectJ uses subgraph specifications for class graphs (e.g., A+
denotes all subclasses of a class) and for dynamic call trees
(e.g., cflow(p) denotes all nodes reachable from p in the
dynamic call tree).

We will review the old Demeter notation for subgraph
specifications, from our TOPLAS paper with Jens Palsberg,
and present three semantics: (1) for dynamic call trees as used
in AspectJ (2) for object graphs as presented in the succinct
AP semantics paper with Mitch Wand (3) and class graphs.

We propose an integration of all three subgraph specification
semantics into AspectJ based on our experience with
Doug Orleans' AP Library, DJ and DemeterJ.

Joint work with John Sung and Doug Orleans. John Sung writes
his MS thesis on this topic.

Preliminary slides are in:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/research/demeter/seminar/2002/jan9/aspectj-additions.ppt