IS1320 Information Retrieval - Spring 2003 - General Information

Professor Futrelle - College of Computer and Information Sciences, Northeastern U., Boston, MA

Version of 6 April 2003

Course description, from the catalogue:

IS 1320/COM 1320 Information Retrieval 4 QH
Design principles and techniques for organizing and searching large heterogeneous data collections. Topics covered include retrieval models; text and hypertext representation and indexing; query formulation and search strategies; browsing, information visualization and relevance feedback; evaluation metrics. Advanced topics may include distributed information retrieval, knowledge-based approaches, and retrieval from multimedia databases. Prereq. COM1201.

Course Key Number:
Northeastern University, and the College of Computer and Information Sciences, Boston, MA.
Professor Robert P. Futrelle   Email me at:
You can also use a web form to contact me without needing email access at all.
Futrelle's Office:
115 Cullinane
Teaching Assistant (TA)
Emine Yilmaz Office: 53CN. Phone 617-373-4607.
Hardcopy mailbox:
161 Cullinane
Futrelle's office: 617-373-4239, Lab: 617-373-4607, TA 617-373-TBA
Modern Information Retrieval by Ricardo Baeza-Yates and Berthier Ribeiro-Neto (Addison-Wesley 1999)
Personal Help:
Futrelle has regularly scheduled office hours, Mondays from noon to 2pm, in 115CN. If you need help at any time, find Futrelle or the Ms. Yilmaz in her office, or call or send email, or ask in class to set up an appointment.
On-line help:
Since this course is about information retrieval, this is something you'll get very good at. Also, see the Resources links on the course homepage.
Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, 9:15-10:20, Room 247CN
All students will participate in a project team with about two other students. See the Projects page for details. Every student in the course is expected to do programming in Java and to construct web pages.
Total credit for your project will be 40%, made up of 10% (total) for your in-class presentations, 10% for your midterm draft, and 20% for the final report. Quiz #1 will count 10%, the Midterm Exam will be 20% Quiz #2 will be 5% and the Final Exam, 25%.
The course email archives:
All students in the course must sign up at the beginning of the course for the mailing list in order to receive important notices. Subscribe here: and you must also send email to Professor Futrelle at the same time so he will know that you're a member of the class. (Send your full name and ID number.) You can only post mail to the list using the email address you sign up with. All mail to the list is archived (Note that I've added a trailing slash to this URL. Your browser may or may not link properly with/without the slash.) Post away -- your questions and information may well be of interest to other students in the class. Post mail to the list from your registered email address to here:

Go to IS1320 home page.

Return to Prof. Futrelle's home page