compiler for structure-shy language

Subject: compiler for structure-shy language
From: Karl Lieberherr (lieber@ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 11:03:02 EDT

Reminder: we continue with the Demeter Seminar today at 4pm in 149 CN:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/research/demeter/seminar/2000/oct4/seminar.txt

About the message below:
XSLT is an example of a structure-shy language for writing translators
for XML documents. It supports features like "from A to B"
and "from A bypassing X to Y".

I was also thinking that it would be useful to write a compiler
with a similar goal as the XSLT/XML compiler for
programs that are written in Java and DJ. The idea would be to find
statements like

new TraversalGraph("from Customer through LastName to edu.neu.ccs.demeter.Ident",
   Main.cg). fetch(aCustomer)

and to replace them by (for example):

aCustomer.getHRData().getName().getLastName().getIdent()

The goal is to improve performance.

-- Karl Lieberherr