Liang (Leo) Zhang
Ph.D. in Computer Science
College of Computer and Information Science
202 West Village H
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Email: liang at ccs dot neu dot edu
I am a Ph.D. student at Northeastern University working under Alan Mislove. My research interests currently lie in the area of cloud computing, network systems and social networks.
- 07/31/13 Our paper on Priv.io (a new privacy-preserving social network architecture) was accepted at COSN 2013!
- 01/08/13 Our Maygh paper on building CDNs from web browsers was accepted at EuroSys 2013!
- 09/01/12 Do you want to take full control of your personal data in the cloud? Try Priv.io now!
- 06/05/12 Our paper on WebCloud was accepted to IEEE NCA 2012!
- 10/15/10 Try my Forward Kinematics and Inverse Kinematics demo.
- 09/10/10 Our WebCloud system for serving Facebook content using web clients is available.
- 12/14/09 Feel boring in hospital waiting room? We would like to introduce you WRAP.
- Priv.io: Priv.io represents a new way of architecting Web-based content-sharing services like Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr. Today all of these sites work by providing service to you, the end user, for free. To pay the bills, the respective companies are forced to sell advertising. Unfortunately, this advertising isn't just annoying, it is potentially the source of privacy leaks of your data to third-parties.
In Priv.io, we build a federated web site by having each user continue and pay for the storage and bandwidth required to serve their content. In other words, your content is served by the service that you designate, while your friends' content may be served by a different service. Priv.io uses encryption to ensure that people can only view what you allow them to (and even your service provider cannot view your content). Even with the dramatically different architecture, the service looks just like a normal web site.
- Relational Agent: A relational agent is an embodied conversational agent that displays a human character on the screen to build and maintain long-term, social-emotional relationships with people. In this project, I focus on creating the software program that provides the essential functionalities to support different research projects.
- LensList: Lists are simple and useful graphical user interface (GUI) component for organizing linearly structured information, and work best when they contain only a few elements. However, long lists are difficult to use because only a small part of the list is shown at any time; to gain an overview or select elements from a long list, the user usually needs to scroll the list many times. To address this concern, we applied the focus and context technique (also known as the fisheye effect) to the view of a list.
Analysis of SSL certificate reissues and revocations in the wake of Heartbleed
Liang Zhang, David Choffnes, Tudor Dumitras, Dave Levin, Alan Mislove, Aaron Schulman, and Christo Wilson
In Proceedings of the 14th ACM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC'14), Vancouver, Canada, November 2014.
[PDF] [Slides] [Measurement Data]
Building Confederated Web-based Services with Priv.io
Liang Zhang and Alan Mislove
In Proceedings of the 1st ACM Conference on Online Social Networks (COSN'13), Boston, MA, October 2013.
[PDF] [Slides (HTML)] [Code]
Maygh: Building a CDN from client web browsers
Liang Zhang, Fangfei Zhou, Alan Mislove, and Ravi Sundaram
In Proceedings of the 8th European Conference on Computer Systems (EuroSys'13), Prague, Czech Republic, April 2013.
[PDF] [Slides (PDF)] [Code]
WebCloud: Recruiting social network users to assist in content distribution
Fangfei Zhou, Liang Zhang, Eric Franco, Alan Mislove, Richard Revis and Ravi Sundaram
In Proceedings of the 11th IEEE International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications (IEEE NCA'12), Cambridge, MA, August 2012.
[PDF] [Slides (PDF)]
LensList: Browsing and Navigating Long Linear Information Structures
Hongzhi Song, Yu Qi, Yun Liang, Hongxing Peng and Liang Zhang
In Proceedings of the 2007 conference on Human Interface, Beijing, P.R. China, July 2007.
My curriculum vitae is available in PDF format.