I am a Ph.D. student in
College of Computer and Information Science
at Northeastern University
I am working with Gene Cooperman
in the High Performance Computing Lab.
Before coming to Northeastern, I did my Bachelor of Science from
Jai Narain Vyas University, Jodhpur, INDIA.
I can be reached by email at kapil "at" ccs.neu.edu.
Operating Systems, High Performance Computing and related areas.
Resume: [PDF] , [PS]
Current Research / Projects:
- Distributed Multi-Threaded Checkpointing (DMTCP)
- DMTCP is a tool for transparently checkpointing
the state of a distributed program spread across many machines without modifying the user's program or the operating system kernel.
- The checkpoint image can later be used to restore program in case of node/process failure or
can be migrated to another homogeneous system.
- FReD (Fast Reversible Debugger) is a new system that uses
temporal search automatically over the process lifetime to rapidly
travel back in time to an earlier point of interest.
- Two important components of FReD are deterministic replay and
checkpointing. Deterministic replay is a prerequisite for such a
system. Checkpoints are used to speed up the search.
- FReD can reversibly debug multithreaded applications.
- FReD also supports reverse expression watchpoints, a form of
temporal search within a process lifetime. For example, the current
value of a user specified expression indicates a bug. The user asks
URDB/gdb to go back in time to a statement where the expression is
about to take on its current value. This uses binary search: if n
statements have been executed, URDB finds the point in time using
only log2 n evaluations of the expression.
- URDB: Universal Reversible Debugger
- URDB is a universal reversible debugger that adds reversibility to almost any debugger through a python-based wrapper. URDB supports multi-threaded and multi-process applications, as well as distributed computations. URDB gains its reversibility through the use of DMTCP.
- It currently has four personality modules, which support: gdb; MATLAB; python (pdb); and perl (perl -d).
Click here for Previous projects
- VMware, Inc. (Summer 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011)
MTS Intern, Virtual Machine Group, Research & Development
- Avidyne Corporation (Jan 2007 - Aug 2007)
Software Engineering Coop, Display Technologies Engineering group