Revision of July 30, 2012
The minor in Information Science consists of 5 full courses of 4 SH each and 2 laboratory courses of 1 SH each. Therefore, the minor normally requires 22 SH.
Students in Computer & Information Science are not permitted to do a minor in CS or a minor in IS.
IS Minor Requirements
The following 2 courses and 2 labs are required for the minor in Information Science:
- CS 2500 Fundamentals of Computer Science 1 and lab CS 2501
- CS 2510 Fundamentals of Computer Science 2 and lab CS 2511
A grade of C- or better is required in the above courses.
The following course is also required for the minor in Information Science:
- IS 2000 Principles of Information Science
In addition, the minor in Information Science requires 2 Information Science electives for 4 SH credit each. An Information Science elective is defined as a 4 or 5 SH course that satisfies one of:
- An IS course in the range IS 2000 to IS 4989
- CS 3200 Database Design
Finally, the following standards must be attained:
- The grade point average for courses in the minor must be at least 2.0.
- Students must pass all courses submitted for the minor and no courses may be taken on a pass/fail basis.
- Transfer of courses from other units submitted for the minor must be approved by the College in writing in advance. To obtain the minor, a student must take at least 3 courses from the College.
Application for the Minor and Confirmation of the Minor
To apply for the minor, send e-mail to:firstname.lastname@example.org
Include your full name and your NU student ID.
If you wish to discuss the minor before making a commitment, please askfor an appointment when you send e-mail to the above address.
When you are in your final semester and about to complete the minor, please confirm by sending e-mail to the above address. If the minor is completed successfully, a notation is posted on the final transcript.