The minor in Computer Science consists of 5 full courses of 4 SH each and 2 laboratory courses of 1 SH each. Therefore, the minor normally requires 22 SH.
For students in EECE, certain CS/EECE courses are permitted to substitute for certain CS courses in the CS minor. See CS Minor Requirements for EECE Students below.
Students in Computer & Information Science are not permitted to do a minor in CS or a minor in IS.
CS Minor Requirements
The following 2 courses and 2 labs are required for the minor in Computer Science:
- CS 2500 Fundamentals of Computer Science 1 and lab CS 2501
- CS 2510 Fundamentals of Computer Science 2 and lab CS 2511
A grade of C- or better is required in the above courses.
In addition, the minor in Computer Science requires 3 Computer Science electives for 4 SH credit each. For the purposes of the CS minor, a Computer Science elective is defined as a 4 SH course that satisfies one of:
- A CS course in the range CS 2000 to CS 4989
- IS 4200 Information Retrieval
- IS 4300 Human-Computer Interaction
- IS 4700 Social Information Systems
Finally, the following standards must be attained:
- The grade point average for courses in the minor must be at least 2.0.
- Students must pass all courses submitted for the minor and no courses may be taken on a pass/fail basis.
- Transfer of courses from other units submitted for the minor must be approved by the College in writing in advance. To obtain the minor, a student must take at least 3 courses from the College.
Application for the Minor and Confirmation of the Minor
To apply for the minor, send e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Include your full name and your NU student ID.
If you wish to discuss the minor before making a commitment, please ask for an appointment when you send e-mail to the above address.
When you are in your final semester and about to complete the minor, please confirm by sending e-mail to the above address. If the minor is completed successfully, a notation is posted on the final transcript.
CS Minor Requirements for EECE Students
The College will permit the following substitutions of courses normally required of EECE students for courses in the CS minor:
- CS 1500 Algorithms & Data Structures for Engineers and lab CS 1501
for CS 2510 Fundamentals of Computer Science 2 and lab CS 2511
- EECE 3324 Computer Architecture and Organization
for CS 2600 Computer Organization
A grade of C- or better is required in CS 1500 and CS 1501.
CS 2500 Fundamentals of Computer Science 1 and its lab CS 2501 are not required for EECE students.
CS 2500/2501 may be taken as a CS elective if desired. If taken, then students will be prepared for CS 2800/2801 and partially prepared for CS 4400. Students should not take these later courses without taking CS 2500/2501.
EECE students must meet the requirement for 3 Computer Science elective courses, as defined above. Given the permitted substitutions, EECE students may therefore attain the CS minor with 12 additional SH of credit. These 12 SH must be taken in CCIS. No additional transfer credit will be permitted.
Finally the standards stated in CS Minor Requirements apply to EECE students.