Semantics of Traversals and Aspectual Collaborations

Subject: Semantics of Traversals and Aspectual Collaborations
From: Karl Lieberherr (lieber@ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 18:33:19 EST

Reminder:

Mitch Wand will speak tomorrow on semantics of traversals.

If there is time left, Johan Ovlinger will present his
work on Aspectual Collaborations.

-- Karl Lieberherr

DEMETER SEMINAR
Adaptive and and Aspect-Oriented Programming

The Demeter seminar meets this quarter on Wednesday in 149 Cullinane Hall,
Northeastern University, Boston
from 4.00-5.30 p.m. The topic this quarter will be
related to Adaptive Programming
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/lieber/demeter.html
Aspect-Oriented Programming
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/lieber/AOP.html
and topics related to the DARPA project AIRES
http://www.dist-systems.bbn.com/projects/AIRES/
in collaboration with the QuO group at BBN.

For students:
To get some background for
the seminar you should read the first four chapters of
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/research/demeter/biblio/dem-book.html

and a selection of the papers at:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/research/demeter/AOP/eth-seminar/reading-list.html

=========================
Wednesday, November 13, 2000
4.00-5.30 p.m
149 Cullinane Hall

Semantics of Traversals

Mitchell Wand

Traversals are ubiquitous and succinct traversal specifications
are popular both in the XML and Demeter communities.
Mitch will present a new and simpler semantics for
succinct traversal specifications. The semantics defines
an object graph slice (a subgraph) for an object graph and a
succinct traversal specification.
A preliminary discussion is at:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/research/demeter/DJ/design-decisions/mitch/

After the presentation by Mitch Wand we continue our tour through DJ.
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/research/demeter/DJ/
An interesting aspect of DJ is that severely crosscutting concerns
(structured multi-object collaborations) are expressed in
plain Java without any extension. This is not too surprising
because the DJ Java library makes heavy use of reflection.

Seminar notes for this and previous seminars are in:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/research/demeter/seminar/