How to setup the newsgroup using Thunderbird:
- Open the 'File' menu and choose New -> Account
- from the options that you get, choose 'newsgroup account'
- fill in your name and email
- use 'localhost' as the server name
- pick any name for your account, e.g. "213news"
- click 'Finish'
Your account is created and you are able to see it in the
- right click on it and choose 'Properties'
- under 'server settings' choose a non-privileged port, e.g. 1821
- (Omit this step if you are using a machine inside WVH)
Now, open a terminal window and type:
ssh firstname.lastname@example.org -L 1821:news.ccs.neu.edu:119
of course, type your CCS username instead of dimvar :)
- go back to thunderbird and right click on your new account; click
'subscribe' and choose 'ccs.courses.csu213'
Note: --- These are instructions for a Unix-type OS. If you use windows, you
will need to use an ssh client (like putty) for step 9
- For all you hackers that use 'pine' or sth similar to check your
emails there are no instructions, you know how to do it!
Last modified: Thu Sep 14 21:22:52 EDT 2006