Choice 1: Digital Aids for an Aging society
This is a very interesting paper and topic to work and explore on. On the basis of information provided in the paper the design of an interface that I could think of was to design and develop a touch screen PDA. This PDA would extend and offer all functionalities like telemedicine facility, can do video conferencing with the doctor, will have alert facilities, would be able to access health related materials. The first screen the user should be presented with is a language select screen, since we cannot expect the user to speak any particular language. Each option says the same thing in a different language, to allow the user to pick their most comfortable language before anything else. After selecting the language the next screen would be a welcome screen for the older adult who would be using the device displaying a message “Welcome Joe or Good Morning Joe…”
Below his/her name would be various options like :
1) Medical History which would have data related to the medical problems the adult had so far and the doctor being counsult for that particular disease, medicines prescribed and dosage of each of them.
2) Appointment : Information regarding the recent appointments the adult has at a particular medical center and doctor with time schedules.
3) Dietary chart : This would have the diet that the adult should follow when ill or other diet that should be followed during normal conditions. The diet the patient should follow when diabetes is high or when blood pressure is high.
4) Excerceis guide : This guide gives information and tips for the type of exercise the adult should do to be fit.
5) Alert / Reminder option : This alerts are given in form of interruptions or messages on PDA like reminder of an appointment, payment, medicine timings. 6) Google: This PDA also has a button which on clicking links to google page where adult can find information regarding any kinds of chronic diseases like diabetes,cancer etc.
7) Videoconferencing : Through this device the adult can directly if disabled or impaired and has no one to take them to clinic can consult and discuss his/her problem via videoconferencing.
8) Payment option : The adult can also make the payments directly to the doctor online if he has bank deltails of the doctor and can store his details to make the payment.Just needs to write the amount via touch screen keyboard and can make online payments.
Similarly a doctor can also have similar device or can use such an interface to interact with the adult.Doctor can also select language and then would be directed to welcome screen with a message “Hi Doctor or Good morning Doctor…”
Below doctors name would be options like :
1) List of Patient : This would have names of patients that are consulting him and all information along with there medical history.
2) Bills : Can maintain bills and receive payments.
Rest all same like an appointment calendar, Videoconferencing,googling and alert facility. Doctor through this device can access the portfolios of his patient and can make dietary charts and change medicines and can view their medical history. With the help of this inteface lot of time in terms of commute can be saved for nominal problems and it is very user friendly device easy to use. Each screen has move back, forward and home page button for easy navigation.
Choice 2: A web-agent based system to extend the elders social family networks
To develop a website of this kind would be of great help for elders who have been separated from there family due to some unavoidable circumstances. The introductory screen would be very simple having login name and simple password, which can be through keyboard or using touch screen.
After logging in successfully another screen would be opened welcoming the person logged in and would have various other options like :
1) Personal Contact diary: All personal contacts and family members’ names, addresses. Phone numbers and email addresses are stored with pictures.
2) Email: One can write an email directly to anyone by using the email option.
3) Albums: One can maintain personal and family photographs and album. One can also share pictures or view each others pictures by visiting others profile.
4) Blog: One can set up a discussion forum where family members can discuss on common topics like traditions or new technologies and exchange each others idea.
5) Family Newspaper: Can maintain an online family newspaper where news regarding good or hard times can be uploaded.
6) Alerts: Can have alerts regarding upcoming birthday notifications, anniversaries or some festivals.
7) Search: This option allows to find other family members and one can add them after finding them, thus by this can make news friends and make strong pr. 8) logout : By this one can logout of the application.
The website should be simple and enticing. Good colors pleasing to eyes should be used. Color blindness issue of elders should be kept in mind.
Choice 3: The message center enhancing elder communication
In this a simple device has been designed that aids the adult to commute with younger generation in the form of text messaging, email or fax. This is a simple slick device that can be put in one corner of house or on table or can be hung on wall too. It has a paper loader on the top where paper can be loaded for printing messages. Below it our three buttons that are used to scroll through the contact list to select the recipient. Contact details with face images can be stored. An alert in form of a beep or voice message is there to indicate an arrival of a new message and one can print the message if required. One can have a detachable tray or a compact tray attached to the device which can receive or hold the message being printed so one does not require staying near the device when message is being printed. One can send the message by putting the hand written message into the scanner and select the option of emailing or text messaging or fax accordingly. Through this device one can receive response from email or text message or fax. This is a very user friendly device and going to be a great success as emailing and text messaging are the latest technology and the most intimidating one for the adults. Thus by this problem of adults can be solved and they can be part of the hi-tech world too. One can enhance this by making the voice chat or voice conferencing also possible through this device and can have some normal games installed as it has normal arrow buttons or one can have a small keypad on the machine as numeric key has to be there to send fax and adults can use tapping pen for writing messages or playing games.
The rest of the application provides the patient with a general overview of some common information. It would be beneficial to link the second part of this application to all the other applications, and provide an easy method of return so the patient can explore as much as they desire.
The basic overview provided in this application consists of a glossary of terms, a gallery of pictures, and a list of common procedures. Any of these pages can be printed, and the user should be encouraged to write questions down on the sheet they printed while looking through the information. The basic idea is to give the user a starting point for questions, so they can start a dialogue with their doctor.