RE: Aspect SandBox & a related paper

Subject: RE: Aspect SandBox & a related paper
From: Karl Lieberherr (klieberherr@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 21:45:40 EST

Hi Hidehiko:

we read with great interest your sandbox paper with Gregor. We have a
proposal regarding the second application you present:
Adaptive Methods in Demeter. In DemeterJ, we write:

void AdaptiveMethod() whereToGo (WhatToDo);
void print() via Location (PrintVisitor);

We view this as two applications of your model while you view it
as one. It appears that our interpretation simplifies
the understanding.

The first application is a special case
of open classes (OC). "void AdaptiveMethod() whereToGo"
defines a set of methods that are introduced into the existing
classes that are in the traversal scope of "whereToGo".
See e.g. the paper with Mitch Wand:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/research/demeter/biblio/new-strategy-semantics.html

The second application is a special case of the application
of your model to AspectJ (PA). The join points being advised are the
calls and executions of the methods introduced by the first application
(OC special case). The pointcuts are the signatures of the methods
in "WhatToDo". E.g., before * ... means before any of the traversal
methods is executed. Executing the advice body means to execute
the visitor method body.

Viewing adaptive methods as a special case of OC followed by a special
case of PA is the rationale behind the design of DAJ, our Demeter add-on
to AspectJ:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/research/demeter/DAJ/
http://daj.sourceforge.net/

The enclosed slides give further explanations.

Best wishes,
-- Karl