Sergei Kojarski on Eclipse

Subject: Sergei Kojarski on Eclipse
From: Karl Lieberherr (lieber@ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 23:47:24 EDT

Demeter Seminar:

Speaker: Sergei Kojarski
Title: An Introduction to Eclipse (see eclipse.org)
1.30-2.30 in 311 Robinson

Abstract

Eclipse is a kind of universal tool platform - an open extensible
IDE for anything and nothing in particular.
Eclipse is the place where development tools live and collaborate.
This presentation is aimed to cover 3 general goals:

        It gives the feeling of what Eclipse is

        It covers basic mechanisms behind the scene

        It introduces Eclipse plug-in architecture and supports it by example.

In the first part we will take a brief look at Eclipse from the user's point of view.
In the second part we will cover the Eclipse structure and discuss
the main platform building blocks. The third part is dedicated to the
Eclipse plug-in architecture. It reveals mechanisms that allow
Eclipse to be a flexible and effective IDE. An Eclipse plug-in example,
introduced at the end of the presentation, is designed to help you
start writing integrated plug-ins.

Host: Karl Lieberherr