RE: [Demetercop-info] discovering traversals

Subject: RE: [Demetercop-info] discovering traversals
From: Karl Lieberherr (lieber@ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 15:40:56 EDT

Hi Jeff:

the enclosed paper contains some ideas on this topic of discovering
traversals.
Silva-Lepe's thesis contains more. I think there are many improvements
possible here. It is clear that following the Law of Demeter leads to
a lot of scattering which we would like to eliminate by using traversal
specs
and visitors.

I think it is not easy to refactor code that it is not written in a
traversal-visitor
style into this style. Your thoughts below sound promissing.

You can always automatically construct a traversal strategy using the
following approach:
Input: class graph G and a subgraph TG of G which denotes the traversal.
Source s and target t.
Output: from s bypassing { ... } to t

Algorithm:
Color edges reachable from s red.
Color edges from which t is reachable blue.
If red intersect blue is too big, add an edge to { ... } and repeat.

But those negative strategies with bypassing are not very robust.

-- Karl