Re: Fwd: Installation problems

Subject: Re: Fwd: Installation problems
From: Doug Orleans (dougo@ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 23:01:07 EDT

> >1. Its not mentioned anywhere how to install the javaCC. when I download the
> >file I get a class file which I put in the classpath directory but there is
> >no executable file anywhere. How do I get the executable?

As it says on the JavaCC download page,

    The downloaded file is a self-extracting Java executable. Run it
    like any other Java program to install JavaCC.

In other words, put it in a directory and run

    java -cp . JavaCC2_0

(if the file is named JavaCC2_0.class). This starts up the GUI
installer program. (Maybe one of these days DemeterJ will have one of
its own...)

> >2. When I unpack the demjava-0.8.1.jar into a directory and then run
> >"..\bin\demjava -version" I get an exception:
> >
> >Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> >edu/neu/ccs/demeter/tools/demjava/Main
> >
> >I don't know if its related to the demjava or the jdk. I'm running win98
> >first edition.

You'll need to edit demjava.bat to replace "c:\demjava" with your
installdir. I meant to fix it so that it used the value of
DEMJAVA_HOME but I still don't know enough about DOS batch file
syntax. If anyone knows how to do this (namely, set an environment
variable to a value if it has not already been set) please drop me a line...
An alternative is to install cygwin and use the demjava shell script.
Or install linux...

--Doug