Tue 06 Sep 2011
The course is self-contained; however, working knowledge of the basic
concepts of probability will be helpful (e.g., random variables, basic
probability distributions, expectation, etc.).
- Elements of Information Theory, Second Edition
by Cover and Thomas.
- There will be approximately six homework assignments in the first
two-thirds of the term. The exact schedule of assignments will be
posted on the syllabus page.
- Each student will be responsible for one presentation,
to be given in the last third of the term.
- Homeworks: 75%
- Presentation: 25%
- All work submitted for credit must be your own.
- You may discuss the homework problems with your classmates and
Professor Aslam. You must acknowledge the people with whom you
discuss your work, and you must write up your own solutions. Any
written sources used (apart from the text) must also be
- Please ask if you have any questions about academic honesty as it
applies to CS6800.