Literature Review Paper
The purpose of this assignment is to provide you with the experience of writing a short literature review for a scientific paper, as one way to help you start to think critically about how we currently (and will soon) measure a particular health-related behavior and the experiment we are developing in class. You will gain experience writing in a style that would be suitable for publication. Your article will provide a thorough review of the current way(s) of measuring a specific behavior and a review of the papers that have been published so far that use technology or describe technology that could be used to measure that behavior in a new way, as those ideas relate to a particular experiment.
Eventually, this text will evolve and become part of your final paper. Your final paper will have this structure:
- Background/relevant prior work
- Lit review used to justify why uEMA is worthwhile to pursue generally for measurement
- Example of why it will be important in a particular domain of interest to you
- Description of the problem (describe the baby step the experiment will take to understand one property of uEMA)
- System description
- Experimental design
- Results (include empty tables that have everything but the missing numbers, if preliminary data is not available)
- Discussion (include what you have learned so far about the data, study limitations, and (very briefly) remaining questions)
- References (complete, perfectly formatted; all references should be entered in Mendeley)
- Include screen shots (or designs) for all the screens for the technology used in the experiment that is not needed in the system description section.
- Based on what you learned so far from the experiment, in about 1-2 pages, describe what hypothesis and experiment you would pursue next to learn more about another fundamental property of uEMA, as precisely and clearly as you can.
In this assignment, you will write as much of this paper as you can at this stage in the course, with a particular focus on the intro/motivation and background and relevant prior work (roughly 4 pages of text, extra for references) and the Appendices. To do this lit review, you will focus on how a particular topic is measured today (including how that measurement evolved), and then how emerging technology can change that measurement (using, in some way, uEMA as well as possibly other technologies). That should then lead into a justification for a particular experiment to test some component of the new uEMA system.
You paper must adhere to the following format and length guidelines:
- The paper should be written in the CHI format. You have 8 pages in this format for the main sections and an unlimited number of pages for references and the Appendix. In this assignment, you will probably have about 4 pages for the intro/background section and 2-3 pages of references, and then 1-3 pages for your appendix (which should also cite papers in the reference section)
- You have an unlimited number of pages for references. (Your goal is to thoroughly mention all relevant papers, so your reference section could be quite long).
- All references must be in Mendeley (and you should be inserting them using a reference manager, not by hand).
- You will be graded on both content and the style of your scientific writing. You should have multiple friends proofread your work to be sure that your submission is clearly organized and free of typos and awkward wording.
Hand in the following:
- Your paper
- Copies of relevant paper surveys you identified (that are mentioned anywhere in the paper, including the Appendices)
In addition to bringing a hard copy to class, send an email including your Word and PDF document to ...@neu.edu.
Name the file in this format: [your last name].paperpart1.pdf.