My research is in the fields of Human-Computer Interactions (HCI), Computer-supported Cooperative Work (CSCW), and Personal Health Informatics. I am currently working with Andrea Parker at the Wellness Technology Lab. I'm a Fulbright alumni for my Master's program in 2012-2014.
I aim to understand how various technologies can be designed to positively influence human behavior in the context of health promotion and community empowerment. I am exploring how gamification, storytelling, and reflections can support individuals to transform their health attitudes and behavior.
Rigorously Peer-Reviewed Conference Papers
- Reflective Informatics Through Family Storytelling: Self-discovering Physical Activity Predictors
Herman Saksono, Andrea G. Parker. 2017. Reflective Informatics Through Family Storytelling: Self-discovering Physical Activity Predictors. In Proceedings of the 35th Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM. (PDF)
Youth Advocacy in SNAs: Challenges for Addressing Health Disparities
Farnaz Irannejad Bisafar, Herman Saksono, Priscilla Andrea Baquerizo, Dana Elaine Moore, & Andrea Parker. 2016. Youth Advocacy in SNAs: Challenges for Addressing Health Disparities. Proceedings of the 34rd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, ACM. (PDF)
Spaceship Launch: Designing a Collaborative Exergame for Families
Saksono, H., Ranade, A., Kamarthi, G., Castaneda-Sceppa, C., Hoffman, J.A., Wirth, C., and Parker, A.G. 2015. Spaceship Launch: Designing a Collaborative Exergame for Families. In Proceedings of the Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing 2015, ACM. (PDF)
- Designing e-learning environment to encourage student centred learning Pustaka, A., Saksono, H. 2012. Designing e-learning environment to encourage student centred learning. In Innovations, Practice and Research in Engineering Education.
- A Community Health Orientation for Wellness Technology Design & Delivery Andrea G. Parker, Herman Saksono, Jessica A. Hoffman, and Carmen Castaneda-Sceppa. 2017. A Community Health Orientation for Wellness Technology Design & Delivery. In Designing Healthcare That Works: A Sociotechnical Approach, Mark Ackerman, Sean Goggins, Thomas Herrmann, Michael Prilla and Christian Stary (eds.). Elsevier Inc, 59-76.
Abstracts presented as posters
- Herman Saksono, Andrea G. Parker. 2016. Storytelling as a Platform for Health Sensor Data Reflection & Physical Activity Promotion in a Family Setting. Forum on Population Health Equity. Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health (2016).
- Elizabeth Stowell, Mercedes Lyson, Reneé Wurth, Herman Saksono, Holly Jimison, Misha Pavel, Andrea G. Parker. 2016. mHealth Research in Vulnerable Populations: A Systematic Review. Forum on Population Health Equity. Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
- Ashwini Ranade, Herman Saksono, Geeta Kamarthi, et al. 2014. Spaceship Launch: A community-driven technology intervention promoting physical activity in a low-income neighborhood. 142nd APHA Annual Meeting and Exposition.
- Social media for social activism
I received conference fellowships in social media activism from Google (2012) and the US. State Department (2011).
I blog about social and political issues in Indonesia. I was the chairperson for Pesta Blogger Jogja in 2010, a local chapter of national blogger conference. hermansaksono.com
- Instagram photography
On my spare time I play with my cat.