CS 4700 / CS 5700 - Network Fundamentals
This list includes many of the most important betworking papers of the last 40 years. Don't worry, you won't have to read them all. The course webpage will tell you which papers you need to read (since the list may change year to year).
- [WF+11] Patrick Wendell and Michael J. Freedman, " Going Viral: Flash Crowds in an Open CDN ", Proc. of IMC, 2011.
- [FFM+04] Michael J. Freedman, Eric Freudenthal, and David Mazieres, " Democratizing Content Publication with Coral ", Proc. of NSDI, 2004.
- [KLL+97] David Karger, Eric Lehman, Tom Leighton, Matthew Levine, Daniel Lewin, and Rina Panigrahy, " Consistent Hashing and Random Trees: Distributed Caching Protocols for Relieving Hot Spots on the World Wide Web ", Proc. of STOC, 1997.
- [SCCG+09] Brett Stone-Gross, Marco Cova, Lorenzo Cavallaro, Bob Gilbert, Martin Szydlowski, Richard Kemmerer, Christopher Kruegel, and Giovanni Vigna, " Your Botnet is My Botnet: Analysis of a Botnet Takeover ", Proc. of CCS, 2009.
- [KKLE+08] Chris Kanich, Christian Kreibich, Kirill Levchenko, Brandon Enright, Geoffrey M. Voelker, Vern Paxson, and Stefan Savage, " Spamalytics: An Empirical Analysis of Spam Marketing Conversion ", Proc. of CCS, 2008.
- [FPPS+07] Jason Franklin, Vern Paxson, Adrian Perrig, and Stefan Savage, " An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Internet Miscreants ", Proc. of CCS, 2007.
- [DMS+04] Roger Dingledine, Nick Mathewson, and Paul Syverson, " Tor: The Second-Generation Onion Router ", Proc. of USENIX Security, 2004.
- [SGG+03] Stefan Saroiu, P. Krishna Gummadi, and Steven D. Gribble, " A Measurement Study of Peer-to-Peer File Sharing Systems ", Proc. of SOSP, 2003.
- [C+03] Bram Cohen, " Incentives Build Robustness in BitTorrent ", 2003.
- [B+95] Steven Bellovin, " Using the Domain Name System for System Break-ins ", Proc. of USENIX Security, 1995.
- [LLS+08] Dave Levin, Katrina LaCurts, Neil Spring, and Bobby Bhattacharjee, " BitTorrent is an Auction: Analyzing and Improving BitTorrent's Incentives ", Proc. of SIGCOMM, 2008.
- [ACR+10] Hussam Abu-Libdeh, Paolo Costa, Antony Rowstron, Greg O'Shea, and Austin Donnelly, "Symbiotic Routing in Future Data Centers ", Proc. of SIGCOMM, 2010.
- [ZZZ+12] Xia Zhou, Zengbin Zhang, Yibo Zhu, Yubo Li, Saipriya Kumar, Amin Vahdat, Ben Y. Zhao, and Haitao Zheng, "Mirror Mirror on the Ceiling: Flexible Wireless Links for Data Centers", Proc. of SIGCOMM, 2012.
- [FPR+10] Nathan Farrington, George Porter, Sivasankar Radhakrishnan, Hamid Hajabdolali Bazzaz, Vikram Subramanya, Yeshaiahu Fainman, George Papen, and Amin Vahdat, "Helios: A Hybrid Electrical/Optical Switch Architecture for Modular Data Centers", Proc. of SIGCOMM, 2010.
- [CZZ+10] Binbin Chen, Ziling Zhou, Yuda Zhao, and Haifeng Yu, "Efficient Error Estimating Coding: Feasibility and Applications", Proc. of SIGCOMM, 2010.
- [AGM+10] Mohammad Alizadeh, Albert Greenberg, David A. Maltz, Jitendra Padhye, Parveen Patel, Balaji Prabhakar, Sudipta Sengupta, and Murari Sridharan, "Data Center TCP (DCTCP)", Proc. of SIGCOMM, 2010.
- [ABF+08] David G. Andersen, Hari Balakrishnan, Nick Feamster, Teemu Koponen, Daekyeong Moon, and Scott Shenker, "Accountable Internet Protocol (AIP)", Proc. of SIGCOMM, 2008.
- [ABD+09] Bhavish Aggarwal, Ranjita Bhagwan, Tathagata Das, Siddharth Eswaran, Venkata N. Padmanabhan, Geoffrey M. Voelker, "NetPrints: Diagnosing Home Network Misconfigurations Using Shared Knowledge", Proc. USENIX Symposium on Networked System Design and Implementation (NSDI), May 2009.
- [ACK+05] T. Anderson, A. Collins, A. Krishnamurthy and J. Zahorjan, "PCP: Efficient Endpoint Congestion Control", Proc. USENIX Symposium on Networked System Design and Implementation (NSDI), May 2005.
- [AFK+09] David G. Andersen, Jason Franklin, Michael Kaminsky, Amar Phanishayee, Lawrence Tan, Vijay Vasudevan, "FAWN: A Fast Array of Wimpy Nodes", Proc. of ACM Symposium on Operating System Principles (SOSP), October 2009.
- [AL+06] Ian F. Akyildiz, Won-Yeol Lee, Mehmet C. Vuran, Shantidev Mohanty, "NeXt Generation / Dynamic Spectrum Access / Cognitive Radio Wireless Networks: A Survey", Computer Networks Journal, 50 (2006), pgs. 2127-2159.
- [ALV08] M. Al-Fares, A. Loukissas, A. Vahdat, " A Scalable, Commodity Data Center Network Architecture", Proc. of SIGCOMM 2008.
- [BCD+97] A. Brodnik, S. Carlsson, M. Degermark, and S. Pink, "Small Forwarding Tables for Fast Routing Lookups", ACM SIGCOMM 1997. Pages 3-14.
- [CJ89] D.-M. Chiu and R. Jain, "Analysis of the Increase and Decrease Algorithms for Congestion Avoidance in Computer Networks", Computer Networks and ISDN Systems, Vol. 17, 1989, pp. 1-14.
- [CK74] V.G. Cerf and R.E. Kahn, "A Protocol for Packet Network Interconnection", IEEE Transaction on Communications, 22(5), May 1974, pp. 637-648.
- [Cla88] D. Clark, "The Design Philosophy of the DARPA Internet Protocols", SIGCOMM, 106-114, Palo Alto, CA, Sept 1988.
D. Clark, J. Wroclawski, K. Sollins and R. Braden, "Tussle in
Cyberspace: Defining Tomorrow's Internet," SIGCOMM 2002.
- [DCK+04] F. Dabek, R. Cox, F. Kaashoek and R. Morris, "Vivaldi: A Decentralized Network Coordinate System," SIGCOMM 2004.
- [DKS89] A. Demers, S. Keshav, and S. Shenker, "Analysis and Simulation of a Fair Queueing Algorithm", Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM'89, pp 3-12.
- [DH+07] G. DeCandia, D. Hastorun, M. Jampani, G. Kakulapati, A. Lakshman, A. Pilchin, S. Sivasubramanian, P. Vosshall and W. Vogels, "Dynamo: Amazon's Highly Available Key-Value Store", Proceedings of SOSP 2007.
- [DZD03] F. Dabek, B. Y. Zhao, P.
Druschel, J. D. Kubiatowicz and I. Stoica, "Towards a Common API for Structured P2P
Overlays", Proc. of IPTPS, Berkeley, CA, February 2003.
- [FJ93] S. Floyd and V. Jacobson, "Random Early Detection gateways for Congestion Avoidance" IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 1(4):397-413 August 1993.
- [GK08] S. Gollakota and D. Katabi, "Zigzag decoding: combating hidden terminals in wireless networks", Proc. of SIGCOMM 2008
- [GM+04] K. P. Gummadi, H. V. Madhyastha, S. D. Gribble, H. M. Levy, and D. Wetherall, "Improving the Reliability of Internet Paths with One-hop Source Routing", Proc. of OSDI 2004.
- [GY+06] Diwaker Gupta, Kenneth Yocum, Marvin McNett, Alex C. Snoeren, Amin Vahdat, and Geoffrey M. Voelker, "To Infinity and Beyond: Time-Warped Network Emulation", Proc. of NSDI 2006.
- [GSW02] T. G. Griffin, F. B. Shepherd and G. Wilfong, "The Stable Paths Problem and Interdomain Routing", IEEE Transactions on Networking, April 2002.
- [HJP+10] Sangjin Han, Keon Jang, KyoungSoo Park, and Sue Moon, "PacketShader: a GPU-Accelerated Software Router", Proc. of SIGCOMM 2010.
- [HKP+11] D. Halperin, S.
Kandula, J. Padhye, V. Bahl, and D. Wetherall, "Augmenting Data Center
Networks with Multi-gigabit Wireless Links," Proc. of SIGCOMM 2011.
- [IGE00] C.
Intanagonwiwat, R. Govindan
and D. Estrin, "Directed diffusion: A scalable and robust communication paradigm for
sensor networks," Proc. of MobiCom 2000.
- [Jac88] V. Jacobson, "Congestion Avoidance and Control", SIGCOMM '88, Sept. 1988, pp. 314-329.
- [Joh95] D. Johnson, "Scalable Support for Transparent Mobile Host Internetworking", in Mobile Computing, Wireless Networks, Vol 1, October 1995, pp. 311-321.
- [KHR02] D. Katabi, M. Handley, C. Rohr, "Congestion Control for High Bandwidth-Delay Product Networks". SIGCOMM, 2002.
- [KR+06]Sachin Katti, Hariharan Rahul, Wenjun Hu, Dina Katabi, Muriel Medard, Jon Crowcroft, "XORs in The Air: Practical Wireless Network Coding". SIGCOMM, 2006.
- [LAA+01] Craig Labovitz, Abha Ahuja, Abhijit Bose, Farnam Jahanian, "Delayed Internet Routing Convergence", IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 9, No. 3 (April 2001), Pages 293-306.
- [LPC+04] P. Levis, N. Patel, D. Culler and S. Shenker, "Trickle: A Self-Regulating Algorithm for Code propagation and Maintenance in Wireless Sensor Networks," Proc. of Symposium on Networked System Design and Implementation (NSDI), 2004.
- [MKF+06] Priya Mahadevan , Dmitri Krioukov, Kevin Fall, and Amin Vahdat. "Systematic Topology Analysis and Generation Using Degree Correlations". ACM SIGCOMM, September 2006.
- [MWA02] Ratul Mahajan, David Wetherall, Tom Anderson. "Understanding BGP Misconfiguration". ACM SIGCOMM, August 2002.
- [Pax96] V. Paxson, "End-to-End Routing Behavior in the Internet". ACM SIGCOMM '96, August 1996, Stanford, CA.
- [PCB+98] C. Partridge et. al., "A 50-Gb/s IP router", IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 6, No. 3 (June 1998), Pages 237-248.
- [PF95] V. Paxson and S. Floyd, "Wide-Area Traffic: The Failure of Poisson Modeling", IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 3(3): 226-244, 1995.
- [RD+07] Robert Ricci, Jonathon Duerig, Pramod Sanaga, Daniel Gebhardt, Mike Hibler, Kevin Atkinson, Junxing Zhang, Sneha Kasera, Jay Lepreau, "The Flexlab Approach to Realistic Evaluation of Networked Systems", Proc. of NSDI 2007.
- [REG+03] S. Rhea, P. Eaton, D. Geels, H. Weatherspoon, B. Y. Zhao, and J. D. Kubiatowicz, "Pond: The OceanStore Prototype", Proceedings of the USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST'03), March 2003.
- [SB00] A. Snoeren and H. Balakrishnan, "An End-to-End Approach to Host Mobility", Proc. ACM MOBICOM, Boston, MA, August 2000.
- [SC+05] L. Subramanian, M. Caesar, C. Tien Ee, M. Handley, Z. M. Mao, S. Shenker, I. Stoica, "HLP: A Next-generation Interdomain Routing Protocol", Proc. of SIGCOMM, 2005.
- [SEV+04]S. Singh, C. Estan, G.
Varghese and S. Savage, "Automated Worm Fingerprinting," Proc. of OSDI 2004.
- [SG04] A. Shaikh and A. Greenberg, "OSPF Monitoring: Architecture, Design and Deployment Experience", Proc. of Symposium on Networked System Design and Implementation (NSDI), March 2004.
- [SIG+02] A. Shaikh, C. Isett, A. Greenberg, M. Roughan and J. Gottlieb, "A Case Study of OSPF Behavior in a Large Enterprise Network. Proc. ACM SIGCOMM Internet Measurement Workshop (IMW), pp. 217-230, November 2002.
- [SMK+01] I. Stoica, R. Morris, D. Karger, M. Kaashoek, H. Balakrishnan, "Chord: A Scalable Peer-to-peer Lookup Service for Internet Applications," Proc. ACM SIGCOMM, August 2001.
- [SPW02] S. Staniford, V. Paxson and N. Weaver, "How to 0wn the Internet in Your Spare Time," Proc. of USENIX Security, 2002.
- [SRC84] J. Saltzer, D. Reed, and D. Clark, "End-to-end Arguments in System Design". ACM Transactions on Computer Systems (TOCS), Vol. 2, No. 4, 1984, pp. 195-206.
- [SZ99] I. Stoica and H. Zhang, "Providing Guaranteed Services Without Per Flow Management". ACM SIGCOMM'99, Boston, MA, September 1999.
- [VYW+02] A. Vahdat, K. Yocum, K. Walsh, P. Mahadevan, D. Kostic, J. Chase and D. Becker, "Scalability and Accuracy in a Large-Scale Network Emulator," Proc. of OSDI 2002.
- [W99] D. Wetherall, "Active network vision and reality: lessons
from a capsule-based system," Proc. of SOSP 1999.
- [WA+04] M. K. Wright, M. Adler, B. N. Levine, C. Shields, "An
analysis of the degradation of anonymous protocols," Proc. of NDSS 2002.
- [WBKR11] C. Wilson, H. Ballani, T. Karagiannis, and A. Rowstron, "Better Never than Late: Meeting Deadlines in Datacenter Networks," Proc. of SIGCOMM, 2011.
- [XYA09] Yinglian Xie, Fang Yu, Martin Abadi,
"De-anonymizing the Intenet using unreliable IDs," Proc. of SIGCOMM 2009.
- [YKG+06] H. Yu, M. Kaminsky, P. B. Gibbons, A.
Flaxman, "SybilGuard: Defending Against Sybil Attacks
via Social Networks," Proc. of SIGCOMM 2006.
- [YKL04] F. Yu, R. H. Katz, and T. V. Lakshman, "Gigabit rate
packet pattern-matching using TCAM," Proc. of ICNP 2004.
- [ZDE+93] L. Zhang, S. Deering, D. Estrin, S. Shenker, and D. Zappala, "RSVP: A New Resource Reservation Protocol", IEEE Communications Magazine, 31(9):8-18, September 1993.
- [ZHS+04] B. Y. Zhao, L. Huang, J. Stribling, S. C. Rhea, A. D. Joseph and J. D. Kubiatowicz, "Tapestry: A Resilient Global-scale Overlay for Service Deployment", IEEE JSAC, 22(1), pp. 41-53.
- [ZMZ08] Ying Zhang, Z. Morley Mao, Ming Zhang, "Effective Diagnosis of Routing Disruptions from End Systems", Proc. of Symposium on Networked System Design and Implementation (NSDI), May 2008.
- [ZZZ+05] L. Zhuang, F. Zhou, B. Y. Zhao and A. Rowstron, "Cashmere: Resilient Anonymous Routing", Proc. of Symposium on Networked System Design and Implementation (NSDI), May 2005.