Why a Graduate Certificate in Data Science?
Marketers are spending $50 billion a year on big data and advanced analytics, according to a recent analysis by Forbes. Big data is rapidly becoming the basis of competition across multiple industries, and the ability to analyze large amounts of data is now critical in sectors as diverse as health care, urban planning, and social media.
Fourteen out of the seventeen designated industry sectors in the U.S. have more data per company than the U.S. Library of Congress. That’s why employers are seeking those who can extract value from their data. Experienced managers and analysts who can understand and evaluate insights generated by big data are in high demand, especially those who can work across industries.
Northeastern’s new Graduate Certificate in Data Science is an interdisciplinary certificate created to fill this cross-industry need. Created through a collaboration between the College of Social Sciences and Humanities, the D’Amore-McKim School of Business, and the College of Computer and Information Science, Northeastern’s Graduate Certificate in Data Science will train managers and analysts to develop the skills needed to decipher and translate data patterns for decision making.
Who Should Apply to the Graduate Certificate in Data Science Program?
- This program is designed for students from diverse backgrounds and a range of academic and professional experiences.
- Students with a bachelor’s degree in any discipline are encouraged to apply. The only prerequisite is an undergraduate course in statistics.
- Instructors will help tailor the curriculum to meet the needs and desires of each individual student, enabling them to reach a level of expertise that will advance their desired personal and professional goals.
We are now accepting application for the Spring 2015 semester, which begins in January. The following application materials are required:
- Online Application
- Application Fee
- Statement of Purpose
- Unofficial undergraduate/graduate transcripts uploaded to your application (Official transcripts can be submitted at time of admission.)
- Three letters of recommendation submitted through the online application. (We will not accept hard copies of recommendation letters.)
- (International applicants ONLY) An official score report of the applicant’s TOEFL exmaination reported directly from the Educational Testing Service to INSTITUTION CODE 3679, DEPT CODE 78.
- Please note: An MS degree from a US institution is not a sufficient substitute for the TOEFL requirement. A valid, recent test will still be required in this case.
What is the Curriculum for the Graduate Certificate in Data Science?
This Graduate Certificate is composed of four courses:
- Computational Statistics
- Collecting, Storing, and Retrieving Data
- Data Mining/Machine Learning
- Information Design and Visual Analytics
Through this coursework, students will learn to:
- Use standard tools for data acquisition/ management and basic statistical tests and models to perform quantitative data analysis on large and complex data sets.
- Select, plan, and implement storage, search, and retrieval components of large-scale structured and unstructured information repositories.
- Provide data scientists with properly structured, accurate, and reliable access to information needed for investigation.
- Set-up and run learning algorithms on various data sets, test models on new data, and evaluate results.
- Use R to explore data, produce summary statistics, and perform statistical analyses; use software packages for data mining and machine learning; and use visualization tools to present and evaluate data.
- Systematically use visualization techniques for supporting the discovery of new information as well as the effective presentation of known facts.
- Choose appropriate visual languages for representing various kinds of data.
- Communicate the results of data analysis to a non-expert audience.
Who Can I Contact for More Information?
If you are interested in learning more or speaking with an adviser about this program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617.373.2464.